Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Paris Wife Review

I am finding it hard to decide what to rate The Paris Wife so I am going with 3 stars.  I neither loved or hated this novel.  It follows the early years of Ernest Hemingway’s life in Paris with his first wife Hadley.  In the book Hadley calls Ernest a “Perfect Ass” and “Son of a bitch” and I agree with her whole heartily.   I hated him!  He was so self centered and controlling.  I really was not sure if he ever loved Hadley or if he decided to go with her because she would coddle, cosset and pander to his every whim.  Everything was about him and the moment she pushed back a little they have a huge row and he goes off and sleeps with a prostitute in Turkey.  It always seemed to me that he paid more attention to other women than her.  
For the first half of the book Hadley was very whinny and needy.  It was not until she had her son that she started to become a real person to me.  As for Ernest’s affair with Pauline.....I can’t believe that he was mad at Hadley for bringing it up and making her feel like it was her fault they were having problems because she called him out.  I was disappointed with they way everyone acted to this affair and that they tried to go on with their marriage and the affair all at the same time as if all was normal.  I mean who goes on vacation and allows their husbands lover to join them and play the roll of your best friend.  I wanted to have her stand up and say “If you love her more than me then divorce me and marry her.  If not then send her away”.  But she did not and she let him off the hook by letting him go.  I never thought that he loved Pauline.  She was new and when Hadley would not heap praise on him for his new book she did and since that’s what he needed took up with her and then she sank he claws in deep.  Pauline got what was hers in the end when he left her for another women. 
I cried at the end when Ernest and Hadley’s marriage was over and I did not expect that due to my feelings for them.  I was happy that Hadley went on to have a happy life and be loved by someone.  I wonder if Hemingway regretted his decision to leave Hadley?  I just may have to read Hemingway’s “A Movable Feast” to get his perspective on his life in Paris with Hadley.

No comments:

Post a Comment